Thursday, April 12, 2018

Seeing The Truth Behind It (Part2)



Discouraged with the hitting around him and getting along in years, Ted Williams did something else that was both creative and intuitive.  He personally chose a successor to carry his theory forward into the future.  He chose someone who could teach it and explain it better than anyone he had ever met.   That man is me.


My name is Steve Ferroli and I am certainly not new to baseball.  I wrote my first book on how to hit in 1987.  It was entitled; “Disciple of a Master” (How to Hit a Baseball to Your Potential) foreword by Ted Williams.  

In 1994, I wrote and directed the how to hit Video / DVD; “Hitting the Ted Williams Way”. The video / DVD has an introduction by Red Sox announcer Ken Coleman and features Ted Williams and I together.  It is in this project where Ted Williams would name me his successor.  Click Here to Watch Clip

In 1997, I wrote my second book on hitting; “Hit Your Potential, (Mastering the Ted Williams Approach)” Ted Williams again wrote its foreword and again was very clear about the fact that I was his chosen successor.  

How does one man become another man’s successor?  Think about that?  What does someone have to do to convince one to surrender their title- their belt - their crown to another?  The answer is fairly simple; the champion has to become thoroughly convinced that the successor is just as genuine and just as good or better than they were...  

Around 1980 I was a batting instructor at the former Ted Williams Camp in Lakeville, Ma.  I was about 21.  While I had studied Ted’s theory for several years prior, I had just met Ted Williams and he genuinely had became impressed with me - my knowledge, enthusiasm and work ethic. 
One night in the camps dining area I was sitting with my coaching buddies and Ted sits down with us. Before long we were all laughing and talking - it was great fun.  Then Ted says to me; ”You know Ferroli, I went to the plate 7706 times and every time I swung that bat I tried to get the ball in the air. 
But, you know?  I still made more outs on the ground...   
Hell - it just doesn’t make sense”! 

Ted was sitting across from me and I still remember his eye brows rising as he leaned back in his chair when I spoke up and said; “Well I have a theory about that”.  (His body language responded as if to say; “Well let me get comfortable for the lesson you cocky little bastard”.)  

I then, with direct eye contact and the sincerity of a hard working young ball player, explained my theory on what I called “lighting effect” and how without proper understanding of ” lighting effect” that all hitters within the Science of Hitting Theory, (Ted Williams included)  are lured toward the top of the ball due to a legitimate optical illusion. (Pause and dead silence.) 

Well that Marine, fighter pilot looked at me with a face somewhere between hate and love and said: “That makes sense”.  He then stood up and walked right out the door.  My work on “lighting effect” was clearly a well thought out and logical missing piece to Ted’s theory.  It immediately made perfect sense to him.       

One of the guys said; “Boy you pissed him off.  And I responded; “I don’t think so”.  Though I did not explain myself to my buddies, I knew in my heart, that Ted wasn’t upset with me, but rather, with himself. 

Ted Williams did not only respect me for knowing inside and out what he believed to be true in hitting.  But he grew an equal respect for my observations concerning facts and tendencies inside his theory.that he had not yet considered.  Details in various phases of the approach and the relationships between them that would better prove and strengthen his theory for the future.  (More on this later.) 

It has been said in boxing that you have to knock out the champion.  For many years to come, I would have the honor and challenge of trading punches with an American Hero on the subject closest to his heart. 

I would expound on some of his concepts in much more depth.  I would place a higher priority on various parts of the theory and confirm its use for all types of hitters. I also created (and continue to create) a small army of clever supporting drills to help convey the various parts of the process.   

It has been said, since as early as 1988, that I maybe the best batting instructor in baseball. Former Red Sox, general manager, Lou Gorman said it, Ted Williams said it and several writers have said it. While it is exciting to hear ones abilities talked about at such a high level, talk is cheap and I knew that the new MLB player development direction would put smart hitting on hold for years to come.

While I continued to teach the theory, I found better time spent at other levels of baseball - youth through college baseball.  I created my own boys baseball camp where I still teach hitting today.  I also began studying and redesigning the various playing levels of youth baseball and founded the Ted Williams League with Ted in 1997.  Click to Visit League and Camp

Over the past year, I have been contacted by several writers that are in tune to this unique story of "Hitters Buried Treasure". Now with all the pieces in place they have expressed an interest in telling it.  I think however, it is best to tell it myself. The information I plan for this blog is far too important to baseball to risk on the desk of an editor or to the interpretation of another writer.    

From 1976, I have studied and argued for this great theory to get the attention it deserves, for the hitting mystery to be solved and for baseball to enjoy it. I have fought, sacrificed and clawed my way from disciple to master and in my heart I am not sure the theory would have made it back without me.

I guess there is a poetic justice in the fact that “television” the very invention that would delay Ted’s theory, now when tuned to a MLB network, will display in High Definition; the slight up swing, hips ahead of hands and unbroken wrists at contact from San Diego to Boston... 

Therefore, in light of all previously stated, let it be known to anyone interested, that at this point in the games history, I Steve Ferroli believe to be the best batting instructor in baseball.  I have never heard, seen or read any documentation dated before my work that would lead me to believe otherwise.       

Tomorrow we'll talk about the Launching Point...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment